Tuesday, December 30, 2008

State Mueller Park

Tina and I decided to explore at Winter Park today. We went to a state park her friend told us about. We had to go to the back side of Pikes Peak, a 45 minute drive!! Anyway, once we finally got there, the park is also a wildlife santcuairy, so dogs weren't allowed on the trails. She directed us to two nearby trails. One was Crab's trail that led to Devil's Playground. We didn't make it to that one but I am now curious becuase lighting hits the rocks and boulders like crazy there. The other was Horse Thief Falls. We hiked this 2 mile trail to the top of the falls, only to see the falls were non-exsistent. Most of the fall was frozen, with snow over it. At this point, we were fairly close to the timberline and about 2,000 ft from the top of Pikes Peak. Poor Tina, she really was very cautious making her way up through the snow, which was pretty deep. Maggie had a blast running around in it, but Tina didn't appreciate the sudden sprints at her by Maggie. I thought Tina kept a good pace up, usually she is very slow on the snow. But on the way down, she sure took her time with little baby-steps. Still, the hike and exploration was loads of fun. We didn't go to the Pancake Rocks either, in this type of weather, we just didn't have the time before it got dark. I posted some pics below, so enjoy!

No comments: